Supporting mothers and families in the greater Canterbury region since 2007
Postnatal Depression Family/Whanau NZ Trust
To support the wellness of mothers and their familes who are suffering from postnatal depression (PND) and other related mental illnesses.
- To raise awareness and improve identification of women and their whanau who are suffering from depression, anxiety, adjustment difficulties and psychotic disorders during pregnancy and in the first years after childbirth.
- To provide support and assistance to those women and their whanau.
- To foster and encourage the development of support networks for the benefit of those women and their whanau.
- To support preventative initiatives aimed at reducing the risk of women becoming mentally unwell during pregnancy or in the first years after child birth.
- To support development and provision of education to New Zealanders regarding prenatal adjustment, perinatal psychiatric disorders and the needs of parents with a psychiatric illness who have one or more preschool children.
- To support development and provision of education to New Zealanders regarding infant mental health and the needs of pre-school children who have a parent with a psychiatric illness.
- To support research into psychiatric disorders occurring during pregnancy or affecting parents with one or more pre-school children.
- To lobby government to improve psychiatric services for parents and their families who are affected by psychiatric disorders and who have one or more pre-school children.